Sit down, don't stand up - one path to improved focus and collaboration
Have you ever spent time in a stand up that just doesn’t seem to meet the ‘short and to the point’ objective? As the stand up limps into a second hour it seems more like a ceremony to celebrate endurance than a chance to check-in, connect and calibrate.
Your mind wanders, you shuffle awkwardly from foot to foot, you fade in and out of caring and context and wonder if there is a better way, one which saves on shoe leather and stamina.
We wondered the same.
This talk will elaborate on how we experimented with asynchronous stand-ups and through inspection and adaption opened an avenue to awesome collaboration.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- First attempt — firing off updates into the echo chamber
- Inspection and adaptation opens an avenue to awesomeness
- Second attempt — Digesting daily
- Take three — mob rules — automate all the things
- (Un)intended consequences and adjacent advantages
- Questions / discussion
There may be benefits in challenging the way meetings are held. Things to watch out for if you go down the path of async stand ups / meetings.
People interested in ways to connect and calibrate
Prerequisites for Attendees
Just bring themselves.