Open Data for Smart Cities
Nowadays, there has been a considerable trend towards greater openness and transparency with meaningful information concerning the public. Government is particularly significant in this respect, both because of the quantity and centrality of the data it collects, but also because most of that government data is public data by law, and therefore could be made open and made available for others to use or share. Open Data is an innovative strategy and an essential part to developing Smart Cities in our fast emerging world. There are numerous advantages why Open Data is becoming today a hot topic in government discussions :
- Greater transparency and integrity of the public sector.
- Enhancement of public sector performance.
- Innovative approach in a technological environment.
- Machine readable data to make data easily reuseable from other agencies or interested parties.
These advantages and many others can be implemented in an Open Data website which I am going to explain in my presentation. Not only the development of the website is important , but also the embodiment of every benefit in every element of our website.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
1. What is Open Data
2. Philosophy behind Open Data
3. Implementation of Open Data in Tirana, capital of Albania
3. Presenting the open source platform DKAN based on Drupal
4. Simple installation of DKAN
5. Customizing homepage , logo, appearance, colors etc
6. Organizing data and adding datasets, resources
7. Graphical and Analytical Data in DKAN
Participants will learn how to develop an Open Data website with the most prominent platform DKAN based on Drupal CMS which is open source and very user friendly. They will get familiarized with the elements of Open Data and philosophy behind it to integrate smart cities in a European approach. Participants working on public services as part of the government, will became aware of the benefits they earn from fostering this new strategy in their city/country.
Data Specialists, Specialists working on public sector, Developers focused on Data Science, Open data publishers