DOJO- Implement Agile in ERP solutions, Using Constructive Constraint
According to Gartner, the ERP software market has surpassed $35 billion+ and is ever-growing. Packaged solutions or ERP systems as we know it, have been the front runners of IT solutions adoption across organizations involving complex organization structure with complex solution requirements. Take any service-based industry and we can see that on an average around 30% of the revenue would be from packaged solution space. To remain ahead of the competition, all service-based industries should focus equally on these packaged solution/ ERP based projects. It is a known fact that today's digitized world is ever demanding, and the story is not different in the ERP space as well. There is a huge demand for faster time to market, improve product/ solution quality, etc.
So, what can be done to meet this demand of customers? Definitely, the approach to solution delivery needs to be changed. Will moving to an agile way of delivery help? Yes, it should as the agile values and principles focus on delivering these values. But still, there have been so many instances of packaged solutions failing at agile. The reason is simple, we are DOING AGILE rather than BEING AGILE?
Addressing this challenge, we have experimented and adopted an innovative practice that would be beneficial not only for customers but also for the agile team. We call this way of working as DOJO.
DOJO as a practice talks about approaches that would help in bringing in efficiency and thus improving agile maturity.
This session would focus on the following key topics:
- A brief on what is DOJO
- How can you enable DOJO in a packaged solution?
- What are the challenges that the packaged solution team can face while following DOJO?
- How to overcome these challenges?
- Benefits seen in projects.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- Overview of DOJO (15 minutes)
Here we would have a brief discussion on Agile DOJO. How DOJO acts as a constructive constraint and would help in improving efficiency.
- DOJO Execution in a Packaged Solution project (15 minutes)
So how will the DOJO work? We will discuss how to go about executing DOJO in projects. How do people react when they first hear about DOJO’s way of working? How it must be tweaked to fit in the challenges and complexities of a packaged solution?
- The main challenge in delivering DOJO for a packaged solution (15 minutes)
The complexity of ERP brings in its own complexities in the execution of DOJO. We will discuss various challenges ranging from breaking requirements into smaller chunks, conducting demos and other challenges related to the team’s mindset change.
- Benefits: Quick win, Long term win (10 minutes)
Finally, we would explore the benefits with the help of an industry experience/ case study. We would talk about the benefits that businesses can expect. Which are the approaches that can be quickly implemented, which are the approaches that may take time for implementation and would start showing benefits only in the long run.
- Understand what agile DOJO way of delivering is and how bringing in this innovative approach would help an ERP/ packaged solution
- Understand how to think out of the box while understanding business priorities and requirements.
- Understand how DOJO via imperative learning would help the team to upskill themselves.
Agile Coaches, Scrum Masters, Packaged Solution project managers/ leads, Change Enthusiasts
Prerequisites for Attendees
Prior Agile exposure preferably either as Scrum Master or an Agile Coach