What are your principles?
Many companies attempting Agile are not getting the benefits they hope for. I believe most of these companies are more focused on blindly following practices than living the agile principles. Many of these companies have not fully embraced the principles and some do not even know the principles! For an organization to reap the benefits that agile offers, it must live the principles. In this workshop, I'll teach you exercises and techniques to reset the people in your organization around the 12 Principles Behind the Agile Manifesto and the 4 Modern Agile Principles.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
Intro, norms, ice breaker 5m
Background and context 30m
- Discuss that many companies attempting Agile are not getting the benefits they hope for
- Discussion about experiences within your companies
- Discuss how many companies attempting Agile are not following framework guidelines and draw correlations to principles this violates
- Review information and quotes from respected thought leaders that support the idea that companies are not following guidelines that support the agile principles
- Discuss the idea that many people in "agile organizations" aren't aware of the agile principles
- Discussion about awareness of the principles in your companies.
- Discussion about examples of those living/not living the principles in your companies.
- Explain why an organization must live the principles to reap the benefits that agile offers
- Conduct an exercise to discover the meaning of the 12 principles. Teach how to conduct the exercise as we do it. (Train the trainers)
- Conduct an exercise to uncover the truth of principles people may not agree with or understand. Teach how to conduct the exercise as we do it. (Train the trainers)
- Conduct an exercise to discover the meaning of the 4 principles. Teach how to conduct the exercise as we do it. (Train the trainers)
Review and closing - 15m
- Group discussion about what we just learned
- Call to action - takeaways for attendees to affect change when they get back to their companies
- Understand the importance of embracing the Agile Principles
- How to identify if people are going through the motions or living the principles
- Learn an exercise to teach people the meaning of the 12 Agile Principles
- Learn an exercise to teach people the meaning of the 4 Modern Agile Principles
- Learn an exercise to help people embrace the Agile Principles
Anyone who is struggling on their agile journey
Prerequisites for Attendees
Ask people in your company about their understanding of the 12 Agile Principles and the 4 Modern Agile Principles. Come prepared to discuss what you discover.
schedule Submitted 11 months ago
People who liked this proposal, also liked:
Eric Landes - Quality is Job One - Ensuring automation in your teams quality processEric LandesSr. DevOps ConsultantAgileThought
schedule 11 months agoSold Out!
To increase the speed of delivery, your team needs test automation! Eric walks through scenarios to help increase your test automation. Scenarion 1 - Helping your team jump start unit testing a legacy application, Eric shows how to start introducing test automation into your release pipeline. Scenario 2 – We hate TDD - Eric walks through a strategy to help a team resistant to Test Drive Development/Design that helps introduce this practice. Eric then takes questions on increasing test automation to improve pipeline quality
Dan Neumann - Agile Assessment: Helpful Remedy or Harmful Toxin?Dan NeumannSr. Agile CoachAgileThought
schedule 11 months agoSold Out!
Agile is a set of values and a mindset. As such, it can be hard to answer questions that leadership often asks. These questions include: How agile are we? Are we getting more agile? What are the growth opportunities for our team? To address this customer desire, there are now many assessment frameworks available in the Agile space.
Many organizations use assessments to determine their level of agility. This session will introduce several assessment approaches and tools. Like medicine, when used incorrectly, the results can be toxic. We will explore the merits, potential uses, and possible downsides of each approach.
You will leave this session understanding more about your options, as well as insights for framing an assessment that fit your needs best when trying to measure your organization's culture and teams.
Sam Falco - Coaching Around ResistanceSam FalcoAgile CoachAgileThought
schedule 1 year agoSold Out!
When coaches encounter resistance to agile transformations, we often treat it as a phenomenon to be overcome, confronted, or combated. But resistance is a natural reaction to change, and that reaction can't be alleviated by violent opposition. Rather than meeting resistance head on, the clever coach will work around it by helping people recognize and resolve the negative emotions that drive it. Once those negative emotions are resolved, people are more likely to let down their guard and embrace change.
In this interactive workshop, participants will learn how to identify common "faces" of resistance--behaviors that might indicate that a person is experiencing an emotional reaction to change. Participants will then work in table groups to identify strategies for helping clients recognize the emotional underpinning of their resistance. Finally, a role-playing experience will give participants the chance to practice coaching resisters to resolve their reluctance to embrace agile transformation.