Let's Sharpen Your Agile Ax ... It's Story Splitting Time
Do you want to write great User Stories (a.k.a. small features that are part of a product) that provide the vehicle for conversation and confirmation that we build the right thing? Do you struggle with completing stories (of business value) that are potentially shippable within a fraction of an iteration/sprint? During this session we will do a quick refresher on User Story formatting to include Acceptance Criteria. The reason for the refresher is that over the last few years, despite people using User Stories, I have experienced their usage far from the intended purpose.
After the refresher, we will learn at least 3 techniques for splitting stories in this interactive workshop.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
- Introduction (2 minutes)
- User Story refresher (7 minutes)
- Acceptance Criteria refresher (7 minutes)
- First splitting technique and discussion (10 minutes)
- Second splitting technique and discussion (10 minutes)
- Third splitting technique and discussion (10 minutes - Optional)
- Fourth splitting technique and discussion (10 minutes - Optional)
- Wrap up - Q&A (5 minutes)
I could easily make this a 90-minute workshop. I will only be able to cover two splitting techniques as table top exercises and just provide the other two.
- Refresher on the characteristics and purpose of a user story and acceptance criteria
- At least 3 techniques for splitting stories so that they can be completed in a fraction of an iteration/sprint and still have business value
Product Owners, Business Analyst, Scrum Master, Project Manager
Prerequisites for Attendees