Seeing the Light: Using Lasers to Illuminate the Benefits of Collaboration
This workshop is for all involved in the software life cycle from requirements to release. Using laser puzzles, experience big design up front and hand-offs, contrasting with collaborative whole-teams applying incremental design and continuous testing. The experiences from this workshop will help people of all levels understand the oft times hidden costs of queues and hand-offs. Participants will walk away with a better appreciation for Collaboration Cues - recognizing situations in which collaboration can amplify feedback loops, delivery to the market, lower development and testing costs, and help create a vibrant workplace.
- Dillon Kearns, Lean/Agile Craftsman Coach
- Eric Heikkila, Lean/Agile Craftsman Coach
- Wyatt Sutherland, Lean/Agile Craftsman Coach
- Wyatt Sutherland, over the last 16 years has provided a mix of managerial and technical experiences, coaching senior leadership, managers, analysts, architects, developers, testers, business owners, coaches and other Agile practitioners. He has led organizations through their transition to sustainable modern Agile practices and coached Lean, eXtreme Programming, Scrum, Kanban, and software craftsmanship in environments such as Ford Motor Company, Cisco, John Deere, BMW, Paylocity, Nokia, NavTeq, XPress, Bank of America, Walgreens, Management Science Associates, Blue Cross Blue Shield and others.
- Dillon is an Agile Coach and XP Craftsman based out of Southern California. He found his way into software through an unlikely path studying piano performance. Fortunately, this education in deliberate practice and collaboration techniques has served as a solid foundation for developing and teaching Agile skills and mindsets. Dillon is a full-stack coach, and believes that effective software requires the right mix of empathy, mindset, organizational structures, and craftsmanship skills. He also loves programming languages and functional programming.
- With a passion for problem solving, an inquisitive mind, and a hunger for learning, Eric is at home turning ideas into software and mentoring others in Agile techniques to make a positive impact in peoples lives.
Eric is a self-taught programmer that was introduced to eXtreme Programming - pair programming, unit testing, test driven design - during agile software's infancy. His passion for helping people combined with his intuitive programming skills drove him to learn other programming languages, experiment with new testing tools and techniques, and work with others to improve their testing and pairing skills.
Eric has worked on a variety of projects, from DNA analysis software, survey research gathering tools, inventory management software and several Unity-based video games. He is currently working with Industrial Logic to help Ford along their Agile journey. He is also working on several other projects, including digging into Elm, Elixir, Polymer, and several other frameworks, technologies, and methodologies.
Outline/structure of the Session
- Greeting and Introductions
- Explanation of the Workshop
- Formation of Groups & Group Practice
- Trial 1
- Trial 2
- Compare Observations
- DIscussion of Collaboration Cues
- Action Item Exchange
- Wrap up and Feedback
The participants will be introduced to 5 Collaboration Cues that will help them identify potential opportunities for more collaboration. They will also be invited to exchange information with other participants to provide follow-up and support for any concrete actions they feel they would like to experiment with after the conference.
Leadership, management, business analysts, developers, QA, testers, UX, architects, team leads, technical leads, really anyone involved in any way with the software development process.
This is a hands on workshop and will take the full 90 minutes. People may observe rather than participating if they are not comfortable participating directly, or if there are time constraints that would take them out of the workshop early.
There are no requirements for materials - all materials used will be provided including the lasers!