Richer in my wallet, poorer in our wallet?
Does your company do performance review?
Since the goal of all for-profit companies is to make profit, how effect is performance review in actually contributing to your business goal?
In this session, we will go through some activities to explore the hidden side of performance appraisal process, along with some story-telling and discussions on our perspectives.
Last but not least, there will be some suggestions on things that we can do in place of the traditional performance review.
If you want to unmask the mystery behind performance review
If the current performance appraisal process is one of your pain points, or
If you have experience and stories to share with us regarding performance evaluation, then come to this session and let's have a conversation
Outline/structure of the Session
Activity - Part I (15 mins)
Expose the (potential) inconsistency between our goal (i.e. company goal) and how we are measured (i.e. performance appraisal + monetary compensations) using dice
Activity - Part II (10 mins)
After removing the localized incentives, we are hoping to see a cross-team collaboration to fulfill the goal using dice
Story Time (5 mins)
Quickly share a story of an inconsistency between company goal and bonus
Performance Appraisal (15-20 mins)
- Discussion with audience:
- What is Performance Appraisal?
- Why does performance appraisal exist?
- What are the Benefit/Disadvantage?
- Sharing my learning
- We assume employees aren't doing their best - additional effort can be lured out through additional incentives like bonuses
- Feedback != Performance Appraisal (Judgment vs. Feedback)
- Focus on Systems instead of individuals or groups
- Biases, Variations of evaluators and situations
- What's next?
- Several suggestions that could mitigate the problem
Q&A (5-10 mins)
- Open up a new way of thinking about performance review
- assumptions on evaluation and reviews
- local versus systemic effect
- Rethink the necessity of performance appraisal
- Several recommendations to bring back to their organizations
- ideal solution of changing the process completely
- temporary solution to navigate through the performance review while minimizing negative impacts to the big picture
Executives; Leadership; Managers; HR; People Team;