Hands-on Activity: Managers are the 'real' Transformation Coaches using Kata Thinking
Transformation programs usually happen periodically and years apart. They introduce new processes and require organizational restructuring, while they often do not create organizational behavior change. They often ignore the inherent behaviors that have led to the unsatisfying status quo in the first place. These programs separate “the work” from “how we improve the work”.
Rather than having transformation programs every few years, can we embrace change and experimentation as the daily way of work? We can, when managers act as coaches for their teams on experimentation as the way of work. Meaning, when teams experiment they enable delivery, improvements and innovation.
This is an activity-based session that demonstrates the non-ending organizational journey towards growth and innovation. We will follow transformation approach based on Kata Thinking Pattern(KTP) to explain how teams experimentally introduce improvements guided by a universal model.
With minimum lecturing and focus on doing, you would experience first hand the KTP mindset for on-going transformation where managers are coaches. We will use Improvement Cards that are based on industry case studies for digital transformation
We will be organized into teams each has 4-6 people.
This session can be relevant to you, if you are interested in Agile Transformation and Lean Management.
Outline/Structure of the Workshop
I will facilitate this workshop playing the manager's role(coach) for the participants who will be grouped into teams. I will model how to conduct coaching sessions guided by Kata Thinking Pattern(KTP).
We will start playing this activity with no obstacles in the way of introducing improvement. Afterwards, we will introduce obstacles (puzzle) that teams solve experimentally to achieve incremental improvement.
During this session, the learners will practice with the following activities:
Coaching interactions that redefine manager's role as a coach to empower his teams to experiment.
Introducing change while being deliberate on the incremental improvement it would create.
Experimental resolving obstacles in the way of change.
Assessing the unintended consequences resulting from incremental improvement.
Approximate Timings for this 90 minutes workshop:
- 10 mins Overview on Kata Thinking Pattern(KTP) and the improvement model
- 05 mins Explain game and organize teams
- 22 mins Play two rounds of the activity with no obstacles
- 03 mins Quick Debrief on the two rounds (no obstacles)
- 05 mins Explain the notion of obstacles
- 40 mins Play two rounds of the activity while experimenting to resolve the obstacles
- 05 mins Reflections and adjourn
After every round of the activity we will spend few minutes for reflection. Slides 8 and 11 of the presentation slides(link provided) contain the detailed steps of this activity
- Learn Kata Thinking Pattern(KTP).
- Learn a manager-championed approach for Agile Transformation based on KTP while guided by a model.
- Hands-on practice with various elements of the KTP approach for transformation.
- Learn how managers can coach their teams using hands-on tool.
- Learn how to be deliberate about introducing incremental improvements.
This session is intended for anyone with an interest in Agile Transformation. It would resonate to managers responsible on achieving strategic objectives through continuous transformation and adaptation.
Prerequisites for Attendees
No prior skills required to participate in this hands-on session. Participants from past sessions who were familiar with Agile mindset found this activity helpful.