You work in an enterprise organisation. You’ve got lots of delivery teams, and a central operations team that does deployments and production support. You need daily or weekly deployments. You need 99.9% reliability, and less than 1 hour to restore. You need a growth mindset, and learning culture.
The good news is you can have it all with You Build It You Run It. It’s an operating model in which on-call product teams build, deploy, operate, and support their own digital services.The bad news is... well, for some, it’s a bit controversial. It’s a 15 year old idea that flies in the face of traditional IT, and still isn’t well understood in enterprise organisations.
- How You Build It You Run It can be proven to protect more revenue than it costs
- How developers can be encouraged to try, and even enjoy, being on-call
- How to clearly establish who to hold to account for reliability
- How to build an effective, repeatable incident management process
- How developers can spend most of their time on product features, not fires
- How to balance demand and availability of specialist skills
This talk demystifies You Build It You Run It fears, drawing on experiences from multiple enterprise organisations who’ve successfully implemented on-call product teams. It explains how to simultaneously achieve frequent deployments, high availability, and a high rate of learning across many teams and digital services.