About the company
Philips is a healthcare multinational company that focuses on building complete health care products and solutions for emerging markets, in addition to developing solutions and products for global markets, across the three sectors Healthcare, Lighting and Lifestyle. Using the expertise of its nearly 2000 engineers in Bangalore and aligning the marketing and sales teams the campus is responsible for creating and rolling out a complete set of products that include a whole host of solutions for global customers. It also contributes to global solutions in critical health care component development for connected consumer devices and renewable energy.
Beginning of 2014, an external survey brought out the issues wrt time to market and code quality. Taking the survey results positively, the Leadership embarked on an Agile/SAFe journey with pilot projects. The results were amazing and with the currently learning from the pilots, the organization is running 25+ deployments within. The journey has started and Agile release trains are delivering periodic value to our customers at defined frequencies.
Product quality, consistent & predictive delivery and quicker time to market are the key challenges the organization is trying to address today. Continuous Innovation is constrained due to the above issues and hence there is need to find a new way of product development which can meet the dynamic business needs, foster people engagement and deliver meaningful products to the world.
ScaledAgile has been used as a framework for product development across the organization global. The whole organization is undergoing a transformation from waterfall way of working to the SAFe agile way of working and roadmap is till 2019.
The Framework used for the transformation can be summarized into 4 major steps
- Develop products in the Agile way with focus on Basic Agile practices (Scrum)
- Establish Product Ownership with focus on Enabling Scaling aspects (SAFe practices)
- Establish a release pipeline with continuous integration (supported by Automation)
- Adopt a DevOps Culture with focus on Continuous delivery (to production environment)
This includes a comprehensive diagnosis of the various business processes, agile practices and behavior, engineering practices, delivery maturity and recommendations for the transition. A coaching and tooling plan is also an outcome of the diagnostics.
- Predictable Releases to customers (hitting the market with features every three months with features and business criticial bugs with less than 2 weeks with all the regulatory compliance)
- Feature planned vs Feature delivered per program increment > 80%lose
- Defect reduction co t 45%
- Team velocity – Baseline vs actual.
- Very high sense of ownership and high levels of engagement
Transformation team Profile
- Agile Capability program manager -1 FTE
- Agile Deployment Program Management – 1 FTE
- Communication expert – 1 FTE (Today we are 0/1)
- Coordination - 1 FTE
- Enterprise Agile Coaches – 16 (Today we are 9 /16)