Accessibility: Is it just a checkbox to be ticked?
Often as technologists we are carried away by the various ways of problem solving, that we forget about the presentation of the solution to the required people, in an accessible way.
It is easy to overlook the fact that even the app cannot deliver value if its inaccessible to the users.
This talk will:
1. Define accessibility and analyse its importance
2. Determine various people who need to use the apps we build.
3. Determine each stakeholder's responsibility in ensuring accessibility
4. Describe how to build a really accessible application
5. Highlight various tools to measure accessibility
6. Evaluate some best practices to increase accessibility
Outline/structure of the Session
This talk is conducted in a fast paced, highly-interactive style to keep the audience engaged throughout. Light-hearted humour and examples from previous projects are used to explain the analogy of ensuring accessibility to all our app users.
Outline of the session:
5 mins:Introduction and setting the scene on importance of accessibility
10 mins: Define the different project roles responsibilities in ensuring accessibility
15 mins: Discussion on building accessible applications
10 mins: The different tools for different roles to measure accessibility
5 mins: Closing remarks, Questions and Answers
At the end of this talk,each participant is able to:
- Evaluate the need for accessibility
- Understand accessibility and why it is necessary
- Evaluate ways to encourage accessibility while building applications
- Assess ways to encourage all the members of a team to think about accessibility while building all the parts of an application
Everyone involved in app development