What's New in Elm 0.19 - Single Page Apps and more
almost a year since the previous release there are a lot of changes, and many breaking ones. But one of the clear benefits of functional programming is ease of refactoring, so
Elm19 promises that most of the changes can be automatically applied to your program.
The notable new features in Elm19 are
- support for single-page apps and other explicit web content patterns
- even better (!) friendly compiler messages that guide rather than chide
- faster compilation, and smaller object sizes
- removal of some features like custom infix operators that are deemed more harmful than helpful
This talk will concentrate on how to be immediately productive with single-page apps in Elm, and digress briefly in how to migrate to Elm19 if you have not yet done so.
Outline/Structure of the Talk
* Capsule summary of the Elm language (5mins)
* Summary of the changes in Elm19 (5 mins)
* A walkthrough of creating a single-page app (10 mins)
* Other types of web element expicitly provided for in Elm19 (5mins)
* Migrating to elm19 from 0.18 (5mins)
* Questions (5mins)
Be able to create a modern single page app rapidly and safely in a functional language.
Functional programmers who want to build webpages. Non-functional programmers who want a friendly and immediately practical way to learn functional programming.
Prerequisites for Attendees
Understand the WWW document object model (or at least be aware of its existence).