Serverless Apps with AWS Lambda
This is a practical workshop for developers and architects that want to take advantage of the latest trends in cloud computing: serverless apps and cloud functions. Through hands-on exercises and teamwork, you’ll learn about using AWS Lambda and API Gateway to create responsive event-driven micro-services, auto-scaling web APIs, and high-performance web sites. By the end of the workshop, you will create a useful real-world serverless application, exploring the typical architectural patterns.
Serverless platforms significantly reduce the cost of running high-performance web sites and API services in the cloud, but with a major impact on architecture, these services also require teams to re-think how to approach sessions, storage, authorization and testing.
The author of the workshop is Gojko Adzic, a key contributor to Claudia.js, a popular open-source deployment tool for AWS Lambda.
- Use AWS Lambda and API Gateway
- Perform file conversion, image serving, connecting to third-party APIs and managing sessions with serverless architectures
- Design scalable, high-performance web sites with single-page apps backed by cloud APIs
- Get the most out of AWS integrations (AWS Cognito and AWS IoT Gateway)
- Identify how serverless architecture impacts testing, monitoring and deployments
- Run A/B tests easily and operate multiple versions of your system cheaply by learning best practice
- Start converting monolithic applications to cloud functions
- Use Amazon Serverless Application Model (SAM) and Claudia.js to deploy Lambda functions
Anyone interested in using using AWS Lambda and API Gateway to create responsive event-driven micro-services, auto-scaling web APIs, and high-performance web sites.
Prerequisites for Attendees
- An Amazon Web Services account (free tier accounts are also OK, you can register at https://aws.amazon.com)